Friday, March 9, 2007

Chronicle shortage?!?

This is a story about our morning Jen's article came out. Disclaimer: We love the SF Chronicle, but wow, it's distribution system leaves a lot to be desired like being able to get one (or half dozen) at 6:30am.

The previous night had been difficult for the both of us... She was worrisome and anxious about the article coming out, making it difficult for her to sleep. For those who know her... you're thinking typical Jen. I, on the other hand, have the task of trying to calm her down, so we wouldn't be zombies the next morning. As it were, I was super excited for her and couldn't sleep myself. I didn't actually shut my eyes until way past 2:30am. At one point, I figured I'd just stay up until the paper came out and get the first copies. Good thing I didn't!

The alarm went off at 5:30am, as usual, Jen still had the presence of mind to maintain our snoozing ritual, but we over did it and didn't get out of bed until 6:30am. Getting the 4 hours of sleep that I did, I didn't hear any of this, and Jen nearly had to roll me out of bed to get me up. We ditched our morning routine of breakfast and tea together for Holey Bagel treats and the early edition. As I double parked on 24th St., Jen ran in, quarters in hand for the newspaper vending machine. She pumped $2.00 in quarters thinking to get 4 copies. As she pulled the handle....Nothing... it didn't budge. Banging on the thing, she tried the door again. No luck. So she proceeded inside to buy the bagels and complained about the vending machine to the cashier. He responded to her that the machine was just filled not 10 mins before we got there. Frustrated and not wanting to be late for work, Jen jumped in to the car, and we go hunting for another machine. That was attempt #1 and the beginning of our adventure.

We rolled by the paper shop between Sanchez and Cala, CLOSED. The vending machine in front of Cala. EMPTY. The vending machine in front of Happy Donut. EMPTY. At this point, I'm thinking this is ridiculous...we should head more downtown. Our neighborhood paper delivery guy must be on vacation or something. So I drove down Delores st. No machines in site. OK... gotta get off Delores and onto something more commercial. I hang a right onto 18th. The vending machine in front of Delores Park Cafe. EMPTY. I know...Bi-Rite Market should have the paper. CLOSED. I hang a left onto Valencia. Passing two more machines. Both EMPTY. I get onto Folsom. Finally, Rocco's Cafe. They got have it. Stupid me though, I didn't know what cross street Rocco's would be on and left myself with the option to cut off a cop and two delivery trucks a cross 3 lanes or let it go. So that one was my fault. We passed 2-3 more machines on Folsom. All EMPTY. By now, Jen thinks we should head to the Chronicle building on Mission St & 5th. No better place to get a copy of the Chronicle, right? Except I can't turn onto 5th from Folsom. Grr... I don't even know how many opportunities we missed. I stopped counting after we left 24th St. Finally, when Jen was about so say we should just head to her work because she was going to be late, we found a stocked machine at Harrison St & 5th St. Jen rushed to grab a stack. We read it right there, double parked on busy 5th St. Sorry to all the commuters that we blocked! Needless to say, we were pretty happy the way it all turned out.


Jen wants to thank all those who have sent their warm regards. She appreciates all the love you guys are giving her. She couldn't do it without all your support.

Oh and for those of you who have asked... Yes, you can come in and just have dessert, if you can find a seat. :)

We'll be out-of-town from Sat night - Weds. With any luck, I'll have vacation pix of the Chef at play when we get back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I love reading your blog.

HeySeth said...

For the record, drinks and dessert is a fantastic option. There is both the bar and a communal table for those who just want to stop in and taste.

HeySeth said...

Stopping in for just desserts and a drink is very easy. There are both seats at the bar and a large communal table for people who don't have reservations or for people who don't want to do a full meal. This is an excellent option